How Drones Will Revolutionize the Way Ranchers Herd Cattle
If you are looking for Florida ranches for sale, there’s a technology that can make the process of herding and managing cattle on that land much easier. Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) or drones have long been used for military operations and impressing passersby in your local park. It wasn’t until recently that it was discovered that drone technology could be applicable to the farming industry and cattle ranching. In the last two years, the quality of drones have improved and features such as infrared cameras and the ability to transmit data while in flight have emerged. However, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules have required ranchers to seek a special exemption in order to fully utilize the technology in business, which has made using UAV’s less attractive to some.
This all changed on August 29 when the FAA enacted new business-friendly rules for the use of drones. Part 107 of the Federal Aviation Regulations set new guidelines for drone use including:
- To operate a drone you must receive airman certification for remote pilots in command, which requires passing an aeronautical knowledge test.
- UAV’s must be flown no higher than 400 feet or, if higher than 400 feet, be within 400 feet of a structure.
If you purchase any Florida ranch land for sale and raise cattle on it, drones can enhance your ability to perform a variety of tasks, including:
- Monitor Cattle: UAV technology can give ranchers the ability monitor the movement of their cattle without having to walk or ride through the property. Many drones can take video or still shots and either store them in the cloud or on the device itself, or send data to a computer.
- Detect Sick Cattle: Through the use of thermal imaging, drones will soon be able to detect changes in the health of cattle.
- Determine The Type of Vegetation Available to Cattle: Kevin Price, a professor at Kansas State University, conducted research on the use of UAV’s to determine not only the type of vegetation available on a ranch for cattle but the type and whether or not invasive vegetation was present.
It’s important to note that flying a drone requires training and many of the models that are suited for commercial use are expensive. It’s advisable to learn on a more affordable model before utilizing an expensive one for business use.